19-19 Resources to support implementation of the new Model Code of Conduct for Local Councils in NSW
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 19-19 / 27 August 2019 / A652776||Contact: Council Governance Team – (02) 4428 4100|
|Previous Circular: 18-44||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Mayors / Councillors / General Managers / Joint Organisation Executive Officers / Complaints Coordinators / Conduct Reviewers||Action required: Information|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 19-19 – PDF|
What’s new or changing?
- Councils and joint organisations were required to adopt a code of conduct based on the Model Code of Conduct for Local Councils in NSW (the Model Code of Conduct) and associated Procedures based on the Procedures for the Administration of the Model Code of Conduct for Local Councils in NSW(Procedures) by 14 June 2019.
- The Office of Local Government (OLG) has prepared resources to assist councils to implement the new Model Code of Conduct which are now available on OLG’s website.
What this will mean for your council
- The following guides and resources are now available on OLG’s website:
- “at a glance” guides for elected representatives, council staff and delegates and committee members – these provide a “plain English” summary of the relevant ethical and behavioural standards that apply to each of these classes of council officials
- a guide to completing returns of interests
- supporting training packages for elected representatives, council staff and delegates and committee members based on the content of the “at a glance guides” – these are designed so that they can either be delivered in full, delivered in portions or adapted to suit a particular audience.
- The following resources are currently being prepared and will soon be available on OLG’s website:
- procedural guides for managing code of conduct complaints for general managers and mayors or their delegates, complaints coordinators and conduct reviewers
- guides for complainants and respondents.
- If councils have not adopted a new code of conduct and procedures based on the new Model Code of Conduct and Procedures, they should do so immediately. In the meantime, the provisions of the new Model Code of Conduct and Procedures will automatically override any provisions of the council’s adopted code of conduct and procedures that are inconsistent with those contained in the new Model Code of Conduct and Procedures.
- If they have not already done so, councils should review their existing panels of conduct reviewers and determine to appoint a new panel using the expression of interest process prescribed under the Procedures. Councils may appoint shared panels with other councils including through a joint organisation or another regional body associated with the councils.
Where to go for further information
- The code of conduct resources are available on OLG’s website at www.olg.nsw.gov.au/strengthening-local-government/conduct-and-governance/model-code-of-conduct.
- For more information, contact the Council Governance Team by telephone on 02 4428 4100 or by email at email@example.com.
Local Government, Planning and Policy