20-08 Release of the Guide to Webcasting Council and Committee Meetings
|Category: Circular to Councils||Status: Active|
|Circular Details: 20-08 / 18 March 2020 / A683577||Contact: Council Governance / (02) 4428 4100 / firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Previous Circular: 18-45 – PDF||Attachments: Nil|
|Who should read this: Councillors / General Managers / Council Governance Staff||Action required: For implementation|
|PDF Version:||Council Circular 20-08 – PDF|
What’s new or changing?
- Since 14 December 2019, councils have been required to webcast meetings of the council and committees that comprise only of councillors. The webcasting requirements do not apply to board meetings of joint organisations.
- The Office of Local Government (OLG) has issued a Guide to Webcasting Council and Committee Meetings to assist councils to comply with their webcasting obligations.
- The Guide has been developed in consultation with councils, the Information and Privacy Commission and NSW State Archives and Records.
What this will mean for your council
- The Guide provides guidance on the
- why meetings must be webcast
- how closed meetings and public forums should be dealt with
- how long webcasts should be published on councils’ websites
- when recordings can be disposed of, and
- practical steps councils can take to minimise any potential copyright, defamation and records management risks.
- The Guide also provides case studies on the webcasting systems metropolitan, regional and remote councils have implemented to comply with their webcasting obligations.
Where to go for further information
- See the Guide to Webcasting Council and Committee Meetings at www.olg.nsw.gov.au.
- Contact OLG’s Council Governance Team by phone on (02) 4428 4100 or by email at email@example.com.
Local Government, Planning and Policy
PDF Version of Circular 20-08 Release of the Guide to Webcasting Council and Committee Meetings