22-08 Model Social Media and Councillor and Staff Interaction Policies
|Circular Details||22-08 / 7 April 2022 / A806228|
|Previous Circular||21-08: Consultation on draft Model Social Media and Councillor and Staff Interaction Policies and on the development of a Model Media Policy|
|Who should read this||Councillors / General Managers / Council governance and communications staff|
|Contact||Council Governance/ (02) 4428 4100 / firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Action required||Information / Council to Implement|
|PDF Version||22-08 Model Social Media and Councillor and Staff Interaction Policies|
What’s new or changing
- The Office of Local Government (OLG) has finalised the Model Social Media Policy and Model Councillor and Staff Interaction Policy.
- The model policies have been developed following two rounds of consultation with the local government sector and represent a ‘best practice’ approach.
- The model policies are also informed by advice provided by key NSW Government agencies, including:
- Independent Commission Against Corruption
- the Information and Privacy Commission
- the State Archives and Records Authority, and
- Resilience NSW.
What this will mean for your council
- The model policies are not mandatory, and councils are free to choose whether to use them or to adapt them for their own purposes. If adopted, the policies will operate to supplement the provisions of councils’ adopted codes of conduct.
- OLG has previously issued a Model Councillor Expenses and Facilities Policy for use by councils.
- The Model Social Media Policy, Councillor and Staff Interaction Policy and Councillor Expenses and Facilities Policy are available on OLG’s website here.
Where to go for further information
- For further information, contact OLG’s Council Governance Team on (02) 4428 4100.