Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.

Skip to content

One year reprieve for council emergency services levy

Date: Tuesday 13th August 2019
Category: Ministerial Media Release

The NSW Government today announced it would fund the increase in the emergency services levy for NSW councils this financial year to meet the cost of new workers’ compensation for firefighters.

Acting Premier and Minister for Regional NSW John Barilaro and the Minister for Local Government Shelley Hancock said the State’s 128 councils would not have to pay the additional $13.6 million this financial year.

“The NSW Government acknowledges that this additional cost presented challenges for councils, particularly those in regional and rural areas badly affected by the drought,” Mr Barilaro said.

“That’s why the Government will fund the $13.6 million to cover the additional levy costs to support firefighters who develop cancer, to alleviate the immediate pressure on local councils.

“Our emergency services have long been funded through a cost sharing arrangement between insurers, councils and the Government. It’s important that this continues and we look after the health and wellbeing of our frontline firefighters.” Mrs Hancock said the Government has listened to the concerns of local councils.

“We acknowledge that many councils had already developed and approved their 2019-20 Budgets before the invoices for the increased emergency services levy were issued and this has caused some angst,” Mrs Hancock said.

“We will continue to consult with local councils to better manage the impacts of the emergency services levy especially on their annual budgeting cycles.

“It is clear that both State and local governments acknowledge the importance of providing support for those emergency service workers who have given so much to protect communities and I look forward to continuing to work with local councils to ensure this is the case.” Read more...

Back to top