22-13 Councillor and general manager financial management responsibilities – Information sessions
|Circular Details||22-13/19 May 2022 / A813903|
|Previous Circular||21-21 / 6 August 2021 / A773025|
|Who should read this||Councillors / General Managers / All council staff|
|Contact||Policy Team / (02) 4428 4100 / email@example.com|
|PDF Version||22-13 Councillor and general manager financial management responsibilities – Information sessions|
What’s new or changing
- Between 5 – 8 March 2022, the Office of Local Government (OLG) delivered information sessions to councillors and general managers on their responsibilities in relation to the financial management of councils.
- The general manager recording is available on OLG’s Council Portal and on OLG’s YouTube channel
- A recording of the councillor training session is available on OLG’s Council Portal.
- Further, OLG has also developed an in-depth walk through of the Code of Accounting Practice and Financial Reporting, including the primary statements and disclosure notes. This recording is available on OLG’s Council Portal and on OLG’s YouTube channel.
- These most recent recordings are in addition to, and supplement, the 1-hour information session about the fundamental aspects of accounting and financial reporting released by OLG in August 2021.
- The fundamental aspects of accounting and financial reporting recording is available on OLG’s Council Portal and on OLG’s YouTube channel.
- OLG encourages councils to widely circulate these recordings to councillors, general managers and staff.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils manage significant finances on behalf of their communities.
- Many staff and all general managers and councillors play a key role in council financial decision making and it is vital decision makers hold an adequate level of financial literacy.
- To support this, OLG has developed various information sessions on accounting and financial reporting and financial management responsibilities.
- These information sessions are delivered via an audio recording and PowerPoint presentation.
- The information sessions add to OLG’s growing suite of financial and accounting resources.
Where to go for further information