23-10 End of Year Reporting Requirements for 2022-23 and Additional Information for 2023-24
|Circular Details||23-10 / 14 August 2023 / A857262|
|Previous Circular||22-29, 22-28|
|Who should read this||Finance Staff / Revenue Professionals / Governance Staff / General Managers / Executive Officers|
|Contact||Performance Team / 4428 4100 / email@example.com|
|Action required||Information / Councils and Joint Organisations to Implement|
|PDF Version||23-10 End of Year Reporting Requirements for 2022-23 and Additional Information for 2023-24|
|Annexure/s||Annexure 1: Information to assist councils prepare 2022-23 Financial Statements|
Submission of Financial Statement
Annexure 2: Information to assist JOs prepare 2022-23 Financial Statements
What’s new or changing
- End of year reporting information for the 2022-23 financial year, including annual report checklist, financial data return (FDR) and Financial Assistance (FA) Grant returns and 2023-24 permissible income working papers and calendar of compliance.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils and Joint Organisations (JOs) need to review the attached end of year reporting information.
- Councils and JOs should familiarise themselves with the reporting timeframes when submitting their 2022-23 financial statements, FDR, and FA Grant returns.
- Councils can access and download the annual report checklist, FDR for 2022-23 and FA Grant returns, as well as the 2023-24 Calendar of Compliance.
- The permissible working papers are available for use for the auditing process.
- Annexure 1 provides information to assist councils in submitting their 2022-23 financial statements and FDR.
- Annexure 2 provides information to assist JOs in submitting their 2022-23 financial statements and FDR.
- The FDR and permissible income working papers will be sent under separately with an explanatory email and will be available on the Office Local Government (OLG) Council Portal, in conjunction with this circular.
- All returns are available at https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/council-portal/council-surveys/.
- The financial statements and FDR are to be sent electronically to OLG by 31 October 2023.
- The FA Grants general return is to be submitted by 31 August 2023 and the National Local Roads (NLRDS) return to be submitted by 30 November 2023.
- Councils are required to submit the permissible income working papers following the auditing process.
- Instructions on where to email the returns are included on the cover sheet of the respective returns.
- Councils are reminded that they must place the Operational Plan, revenue policy and fees and charges on council’s website within 28 days of adoption, with the Community Strategic Plan, Resourcing Strategy and Delivery Program.
Where to go for further information
- The Local Government Code of Accounting Practice and Financial Reporting (the Code) for 2022-23 is available on OLG’s website at: www.olg.nsw.gov.au/councils/council-finances/financial-reporting/local-government-code-of-accounting-practice-and-financial-reporting/
- The updated permissible income workpapers will be available on OLG’s website at: https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/councils/council-finances/financial-guidance-for-councils/rating-and-special-variations/
- The 2022-23 annual report checklist is available at: https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/councils/policy-and-%20legislation/guidelines-and-policy-information-resources-for-councils/council-annual-reporting-requirements/
- The 2023-24 Calendar of Compliance can be accessed at: https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/councils/policy-and-legislation/guidelines-and-policy-information-resources-for-councils/council-reporting-calendar-compliance/
- The FDR, FA Grant general return and NLRD returns can be sourced from the Council Portal at: https://www.olg.nsw.gov.au/council-portal/council-surveys/
Deputy Secretary, Local Government