09-15 Walk Safely To School Day - Friday 15 May 2009
Date: Thursday 16th April 2009
Category: Council Circular
Walk Safely to School Day is a national event that will be held on Friday, 15 May 2009. It is an initiative of the Pedestrian Council of Australia (PCA) and is supported by the NSW Government.
The objectives of Walk Safely to School Day are to:
- encourage parents and carers to walk to school with primary school age children and reinforce safe pedestrian behaviour
- promote the health benefits of walking and help create regular walking habits at an early age
- ensure that children up to 10 years old hold an adult's hand when crossing the road
- help children develop the vital road-crossing skills they will need as they become mature pedestrians
- reduce the car dependency habits that are being created at an early age and which will be difficult to change as children become adults
- promote the use of public transport
- reduce the level of air pollution created by motor vehicles
- reduce the level of traffic congestion. Read more...