19-01 NSW Parking Fine – Grace Period Provisions
19-01/ 18 January 2019 / A634792
Who should read this
General Managers / Council enforcement staff
Council to Implement
|PDF Version of Circular|
What’s new or changing
- Commencing on 31 January 2019, councils are required to implement a regulated 10-minute grace period for certain paid parking offences of more than one hour.
- These changes relate to all parking fine issuing authorities, including NSW government agencies, councils and universities.
- There is no option to be excluded; this measure is not related to the Government’s ‘opt in’ provisions to reduce the amount of parking fines.
What this will mean for your council
- Councils should ensure enforcement staff are aware of these changes when issuing parking penalty infringement notices from 31 January 2019 onwards.
- Councils are also encouraged to make changes to relevant manuals, procedures and systems to support the new grace period requirements.
- Amendments to section 123C of the Road Transport (General) Regulation 2013, which were introduced by the Road Transport (General) Amendment (Parking Fine Flexibility and Grace Period) Regulation 2018, provide for a 10 minute grace period for paid parking of more than one hour, commencing on 31 January 2019.
- Councils are required to implement the 10-minute grace period from Thursday 31 January 2019, when all of the following parking conditions are met:
- A fee has been paid for one hour or more immediately before the grace period commences;
- A coupon or ticket is displayed; and
- Parking is not in a shared zone or other excluded area.
- The grace period does not apply if, at the time the vehicle is parked in an area, one of the following restrictions applies to that area:
- Free parking
- A shared zone within the meaning of the Road Rules 2014
- Where a prescribed parking control sign is in place, such as:
- Bus lane
- Special event parking
- Transit lane
- Free parking
- No stopping
- Loading zone
- Bus zone
- Mail zone
- Long stay or multi-storey car parking where there are no time limits
- Metered parking
- Paid coupon or ticketed parking of less than an hour.
Where to go for further information
- Further information about the Government’s parking grace period, as well as the Government’s fine review process, is available from NSW Treasury online at www.nswfinesreview.com.au or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.